Guys. Listen up! Whatever you think you know about crack, forget it. Crack is not whack! Nope, it’s the totally legal AND completely delicious chocolate caramel slice recipe that has taken the Internet by storm. And, cos severe case of sugar quitter FOMO, this is my healthy spin on the original crack recipe. It comes minus most of the sugar and happens to be vegan. But, rest assured, it’s no cardboard tasting healthy version. My healthy chocolate caramel slice (aka crack) is sweet, salty dessert perfection. Why crack? Simple. It’s totally A.D.D.I.C.T.I.V.E!
So, what makes crack so amazing? Crazy yum (obvs), but thanks to its secret ingredient, it is super quick and easy to cook. The secret? Salada biscuits (or saltines, if you’re not from these parts). Sounds weird, but trust me. Saladas sold out around the country when the original crack recipe went viral last week. A whole nation couldn’t be wrong. Seriously, I am not lying when I say, crack is like no other quick and easy healthy dessert you have ever tasted. SO FREAKING GOOD!
You will thank me for making you a crack addict, I swear! Bake a hit and let me know what you think in the comments below.
Healthy Chocolate Caramel Slice
As addictive as crack, but totally legal AND completely yum!
- 4 full size Salada (saltine) biscuits, a total of 16 squares
- ¼ cup rice malt syrup or real maple syrup
- 3 tbs of butter or coconut oil if you are vegan
- 2 tbs almond butter
- ½ tsp vanilla essence or vanilla powder
- Pinch salt
- 100g of 85% cacao or above dark chocolate (if you are vegan, double check that it is dairy free)
- ¼ cup peanuts
- Step 1 Preheat your oven to 160C/320F and then line a 27cm/11inch slice or brownie tin with aluminium foil and then baking paper.
- Step 2 Arrange the Salada biscuits on the bottom of the slice tin so the entire surface is covered.
- Step 3 In a small saucepan melt the coconut oil/butter, rice malt/maple syrup and almond butter then whisk until the mixture becomes a caramel colour and thickens. This will take about 3-4 minutes.
- Step 4 Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and salt. Pour the caramel sauce over the Salada biscuits and bake in the oven for 5 minutes or until the caramel starts to bubble. Meanwhile, cut the chocolate into small pieces, crush the peanuts and set aside.
- Step 5 Remove the tin from the oven and spread the broken chocolate pieces over the top of the caramel. Let it sit for 5 minutes and when the chocolate starts to melt, use a spoon or spatula to spread the chocolate over the top of the caramel, then sprinkle with peanuts.
- Step 6 Place the tin in the freezer for 30 minutes or until the chocolate has set. Break into 16 pieces and store in an airtight container in the fridge. That is, if you don’t eat it all first!
You Totally Got This Tips:
- Speed up the cook time by melting the chocolate in the microwave and pouring it straight onto the caramel after it comes out of the oven.
- This recipe is I Quit Sugar Friendly, but if you want to make it totally refined sugar free just use a chocolate with no added sugar like Loving Earth.
- Crush your nuts fast. Pop them in a plastic freezer bag and pound them with a meat tenderiser. Works a treat!
If you try my Healthy Chocolate Caramel Slice (aka crack) remember to share it with me on Instagram. I love seeing and sharing your creations. Find me at @youtotallygotthis and use the hashtag #youtotallygotthis so I can find you!
P.S You can find the original Smitten Kitten crack recipe here.
P.S.S Want more quick and easy recipes just like this? Grab your FREE quick and easy weeknight dinner plan right here.