Leftover Hot Cross Buns? I’ve got the perfect solution. Hot Cross Bun Pudding. Its like bread and butter pudding, but with hot cross buns instead of bread. Genius, right? I mean who wouldn’t want to eat hot cross buns baked in delicious creamy custard. Ummmmm no-one, EVER! Traditional bread and butter pudding recipes use castor sugar in the custard, but I’ve used rice malt syrup to keep this one refined sugar free. So it’s a little bit healthier, but still totally YUM!
I used to think it was C.R.A.Z.Y, that hot cross buns hit the shelves on Boxing Day. But, if it means that I can eat this Easter treat 4 months of the year, maybe I’m okay with it. Happy Easter guys.
Hot Cross Bun Pudding
The best way EVER to use leftover hot cross buns
- 8 hot cross buns
- 300g double cream
- 600ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup rice malt syrup
- 40g butter
- Pouring cream to serve
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 180 C (350F).
- Step 2 Cut the hot cross buns in half and spread with butter. Arrange the bottom halves in 2 rows in a 2 litre (8 cup) baking dish
- Step 3 Heat the double cream and milk in a saucepan over medium heat, add the vanilla and cinnamon, and whisk until the mixture is smooth. Remove from heat when it has warmed through.
- Step 4 Whisk the eggs and rice malt syrup together in a mixing bowl. Then gradually add the warm cream mixture, stirring until well combined.
- Step 5 Pour half the mixture over the bottom of the buns and leave them to soak for 5 minutes. Place the tops on the buns then pour the remaining mixture over the top of the buns. Leave to soak for a further 10 minutes.
- Step 6 Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until set. Serve the pudding warm, with cream.
- If you are sensitive to gluten, use gluten free hot cross buns, or if you are a sugar quitter like me, why not make your own. I use this recipe from the I Quit Sugar website (it is seriously good).
- You can make this recipe ahead of time. To reheat, cover with foil and pop in an oven preheated to 160 C (325F) until warm.
If you make my Hot Cross Bun Pudding, remember to share it with me on Instagram. I love seeing and sharing your creations. Find me at @youtotallygotthis and use the hashtag #youtotallygotthis so I can find you!