If you’re looking for a healthy and delicious afternoon snack, you are in for a treat. Yes, you can make crunchy sweet potato chips in the microwave and it’s so easy it’s dangerous. Warning, your obsession with microwave sweet potato chips starts here. P.S…sorry not sorry!
Microwave Sweet Potato Chips
Quick cook microwave sweet potato chips - crunchy & addictive!
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- Step 1 Cut the sweet potato into paper thin slices, using a mandolin, or very sharp knife. It’s very important that the slices are super thin so the chips crisp up in the microwave.
- Step 2 Put the sweet potato in a bowl, add the olive oil and salt, and stir until all the slices are coated. If your sweet potato is on the bigger side you may need to add a little more olive oil.
- Step 3 Line your microwave turntable plate with baking or parchment paper and arrange the sweet potato slices in a single layer on top, so none of the slices are overlapping.
- Step 4 Cook in the microwave until the chips are just starting to brown and the edges curled. It takes the chips between 4/12 to 5 minutes to cook in my microwave, but since everyone’s microwave is different, start checking on the chips every 30 seconds from about 3 minutes. If some of the smaller slices are cooking more quickly, you can remove them and continue cooking the rest. If the slices around the edge seem to be cooking more quickly switch them with the ones in the middle so they cook more evenly.
- Step 5 Once done, remove the chips from the microwave on to a plate to cool. When you first remove them, some of the chips may still be a little soft in the middle, but they should firm up after a couple of minutes
- Step 6 Repeat the process with the remaining sweet potato slices.
- If you are short on time, microwave sweet potato chips make a great side. I especially love them with my Aussie Burgers.
- The good news? If you are not into sweet potato, the same method works for regular potatoes – yay!
- Pimp your sweet potato chips with seasoning like rosemary, garlic or chilli powder. My fav is smoky paprika…YUM!
- The chips lose their crispness after a while so are best eaten straight away. Somehow, I’m guessing that won’t be a problem.
If you make my microwave sweet potato chips, remember to share them with me on Instagram. I love seeing and sharing your creations. Find me at @youtotallygotthis Oh and use the hastag #youtotallygotthis so I can find you!
Or let me know what you think of the recipe in the comments below. What’s your favourite quick and healthy microwave recipe?