A quick and healthy take on the Chinese classic, in just 15 minutes.
- 1 packet of quick cook microwave rice
- 1 egg
- 1 head of broccoli
- 2 slices of ham
- 150 grams supermarket BBQ chicken
- 1 carrot
- ½ cup of frozen peas
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ teaspoon of fresh ginger
- 4 teaspoons of sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce or tamari depending on your dietary requirements
- 2 spring onions to serve
- Cook the rice according to packet directions.
- Meanwhile shred the chicken, grate the carrot, break the broccoli into florets, slice the ham and spring onion and whisk the egg.
- Next heat a wok or large frying pan over medium heat with 1 teaspoon of sesame oil. Add the whisked egg, and when it begins to set use of spatula to break it up. Set the egg aside when cooked.
- Place broccoli in a microwave proof jug cover with water and cook for 2 minutes, drain and set aside. Meanwhile wipe out the wok with paper towel, add another teaspoon of sesame oil and mince the garlic and ginger straight into the wok, frying until fragrant. Then add the rice, broccoli, peas, grated carrot, ham, chicken and egg and cook through for 5 minutes
- Add the remaining sesame oil and soy sauce/tamari and stir through.
- Remove from heat and top with sliced spring onions.
- The serving size is generous, so if your cooking for a little one as well, there will probably be plenty to go around. For bigger families, just double the ingredients.
- Have a pea hater at home? You can mix and match the veggies to suit fussy eaters or use up whatever you have in the fridge.