Skip the Indian takeaway and make this super quick and tasty chicken curry at home instead. You won’t regret it. Why? Because it is thick, creamy and absolutely flipping delicious.
Can’t be bothered cooking? I hear you. This is like the quickest and easiest curry recipe EVER! One pan, 20 minutes and your done. It’s curry in a hurry, for real! And the best part, it’s healthy.
Yep healthy! Takeaway curries are usually loaded with cream, and light on the veggies. But this recipe is different! I’ve switched the cream for yogurt (or coconut cream if you want to keep it dairy free), and loaded it with healthy veggies. Combine all that with super healthy Indian spices like turmeric (you know that stuff that fights cancer and dementia), and you have one amazingly healthy meal.
This curry in a hurry is what mid week dinner dreams are made of…try it, you won’t be sorry.Print
Skip the Indian takeaway and make this delicious and healthy chicken curry at home in just 20 minutes.
- 200g of supermarket BBQ chicken
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 brown onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 3cm piece fresh ginger
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp chilli powder (less or more depending on whether you like it hot)
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium zucchini
- 2 cups baby spinach
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 2 tbs natural yoghurt or coconut cream for dairy free
- 1 pack of microwave quick cook basmati rice
- handful coriander leaves to garnish
- 2 pappadums (optional)
- Heat 2 tsp of olive oil in a large frying pan on medium to high heat. Meanwhile, slice the onion.
- Add the onion and cook until it is soft (about 5 minutes), stirring occasionally. While the onion is cooking shred the chicken, chop the zucchini and get the other ingredients ready to go into the pan.
- Mince the garlic and ginger directly into the frying pan, then add the garam masala, turmeric, and chilli powder and stir until fragrant. Next pour the tinned tomatoes into the pan, then add the chicken, zucchini, spinach, and frozen peas, and stir. Reduce heat to medium and cook covered for 5-6 minutes (until the zucchini is just soft), stirring occasionally so everything cooks through evenly.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice in the microwave according to packet directions. If using, cook 2 pappadums in the microwave.
- Take the frying pan off the heat and stir through the yoghurt or coconut cream. Divide the rice and chicken curry between two bowls, and garnish with fresh coriander
- Don’t have the spices you need? Just use 2 teaspoons of curry powder instead.
- This curry freezes really well. Make a double batch, and freeze the leftovers for work lunches. So much better than a boring old sandwich!
- Wondering whether pappadums are really gluten free? They sure are. They’re usually made with lentil or chickpea flour – yay!
- If you don’t have a microwave don’t worry. You can still make this yummy recipe. Just cook the rice and pappadums on the stove. It may take a little longer, but it will be so worth it.
If you make my Chicken Curry in a Hurry remember to share it with me on Instagram. I love seeing and sharing your creations. Plus, one lucky reader each month will win their own You Totally Got This grocery bag. You can find me @youtotallygotthis – don’t forget to set your account to public and use the hashtag #youtotallygotthis so I can find you.
P.S Want a whole weeks worth of dinners just like this chicken curry? Grab your FREE quick and easy weeknight dinner plan right here.