The combination of chicken, pesto and plenty of veg, makes this 20 minute pasta dish seriously healthy and delicious.
- 200g penne pasta regular or gluten free depending on your dietary requirements
- 2 tbs pesto
- 200g supermarket BBQ chicken
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Cook pasta according to packet directions in a large saucepan.
- Meanwhile shred the chicken and remove the woody ends from the asparagus and cut each spear into four pieces, and slice the cherry tomatoes in half.
- When the pasta has 5 minutes left to cook add the asparagus (if your asparagus spears are thin they may only need 3-4 minutes).
- Once the pasta and asparagus are cooked use a colander to drain the water from the saucepan, then pour the pasta and asparagus from the colander back into the saucepan. Stir in the pesto, chicken, cherry tomatoes and spinach.
- Place the saucepan back on the stove over a medium heat, stirring until all the ingredients are warmed and the spinach has wilted.
- If asparagus isn’t your favourite veggie, green beans work really well in this dish too!
- Look for a store brought pesto that uses only natural ingredients and with no preservatives. Here in Australia I use Barilla Pesto Alla Genovese it’s made with fresh basil and is seriously delicious.