I love me a chicken schnitzel sandwich. I mean bread, mayo, crunchy lettuce and crispy golden chicken. Just SO yum!
But there is one small problem with the ole’ chicken schnitty sandwich. Veggies. If you’re aiming for 5 a day. There’s just not enough of them.
So, enter my chicken schnitzel sandwich bowl. Yep its everything you love about a chicken schnitzel sandwich. Just in a bowl, so you can sneak in more of the good stuff.
Here’s the deal:
- Chicken Schnitzel: Crispy.Golden.Delicious. Enough said.
- Pan-fried bread. Because when you think about it, pan fried bread is so much better than regular toasted bread. We should really be eating it that way all the time.
- Loads of crisp, fresh crunchy salad – think cos lettuce, cherry tomatoes and cucumber to make your chicken sandwich in a bowl healthyish. There’s also a little bit of avo, cos good fats rock.
- Oh, then there’s mayo, because is it even a chicken schnitzel sandwich without it?
Now, I know oil freaks some people out. So, if chicken schnitzel is not your jam, you could definitely substitute it for a regular chicken breast. Sprinkled with herbs and seasoned with salt and pepper, that could be really yummy. The rest of the ingredients are fully flexible too. Life’s too short not to eat your favourite veggies for dinner.
Plus, gluten free peeps. You don’t miss out. Just use gluten free chicken schnitzel -yes they are a thing– then add some gluten free bread and you, my friend, are good to go.
And one last thing. This meal is quick AND easy. Think 3 steps and no more than 20 minutes. It’s official – weeknight wonder status achieved.
So, I’m thinking nourish bowls are so 2017. All hail the mighty chicken schnitzel bowl. What do you reckon?Print
Everything you love about a chicken schnitzel sandwich. Just in a bowl. Think crispy chicken schnitzel, crunchy salad and pan fried bread. Yum!
- Olive oil for shallow frying
- 2 chicken schnitzel, regular or gluten free depending on your dietary requirements.
- 1 baby cos lettuce
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- ½ continental cucumber
- ½ avocado
- 2 slices of bread
- 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook chicken for 4 to 5 minutes each side until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Meanwhile, rinse and chop the lettuce, cherry tomatoes, cucumber and avocado.
- Discard the oil from the frying pan and place it back on medium-high heat. Place 2 slices of bread in the frying pan and cook until one side is golden, then flip to cook the other side. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Cut the chicken schnitzels in half then divide the schnitzel, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber avocado and pan-fried bread between 2 bowls. Finish with a dollop of mayonnaise.
- Want to get a bit fancy? Add some spice to your mayo. Hot tip. Smokey paprika is really good.
- In Australia, you can get gluten free chicken schnitzel at Woolworths. Check out the deets here.
- If you suffer food intolerances or allergies, please make sure all the ingredients are safe for you to eat.
P.S – Want a whole weeks worth of dinners just like this awesome Chicken Schnitzel Sandwich in a Bowl recipe? Grab your FREE quick and easy weeknight dinner plan right here.