With a good dose of veg and a milk based sauce, this Creamy Mushroom Baked Gnocchi is lighter and healthier than regular pasta bake, but still absolutely delicious.
- 500g gnocchi – regular or gluten free depending on your dietary requirements
- 2 cups (500ml) milk
- 2 tbs butter
- ¼ cup of plain flour – regular or gluten free depending on your dietary requirements
- 1 clove garlic
- Pinch chilli flakes
- 350g brown mushrooms
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup of grated tasty cheese or mozzarella
- 2 cups mixed leaves to serve
- Turn on your oven grill on high.
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Meanwhile, thinly slice the mushrooms and mince the garlic
- Cook gnocchi according to packet directions. Drain and transfer the gnocchi to a baking dish.
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour, garlic and chilli flakes, then stir until the mixture thickens and starts to bubble.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk in the milk. Return the saucepan to the heat and continue whisking for 4-5 minutes, until the sauce thickens. Stir through mushrooms and spinach. Once the spinach is wilted remove from heat.
- Pour the sauce over the gnocchi, and stir through the cheese.
- Place the baking dish in the oven under the grill for 5-10 minutes until cheese has melted and starts to brown.
- Divide the gnocchi bake into 4 portions and serve with a side of mixed leaves. If there’s leftovers, pop them in the freezer in an airtight container.
- Find gnocchi in the pasta aisle of your supermarket with the rest of the pasta. If you can’t track down gluten free gnocchi, check the health food aisle.
- Want to make this recipe even quicker to cook? Buy your mushrooms pre sliced. That way all the hard work is done for you.