Guys. It’s time to get your bake on. Why? Because, you need these hot chocolate scrolls in your life…trust me! There’s no mucking around with yeast. The dough is super simple. Made with just yoghurt and flour. I know, right? And because the recipe uses dark chocolate in place of milk chocolate, the scrolls are super low in sugar. So much better for you than regular sticky buns and pastries.
It is so easy, I just know you guys are going to make this easy recipe again and again. When you do, let me know what you think in the comments below.
Hot Chocolate Scrolls
Yield 12 scrolls
This no yeast chocolate scroll recipe, makes baking so easy it's dangerous!
- 3 cups self-raising flour
- 2 cups natural yoghurt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence or vanilla powder
- 50g butter
- 2 tbs cinnamon
- 50g 85% or above dark chocolate
- Preheat your oven to 180C/355F and line a shallow baking dish (I used a 28cm/11inch dish) with baking paper.
- Grate or finely chop the chocolate and set aside, then melt the butter in the microwave.
- Add the flour, yoghurt and vanilla essence/powder to a large bowl and mix until all the ingredients come together. Turn out onto a well floured bench top and knead until the dough is smooth and holds its shape. This should only take a minute.
- Use a floured rolling pin to roll the dough into a rectangle about 1cm/half inch thick using your hands to help shape the dough if you need to, then brush on the butter, reserving a little for the top of your scrolls. Finally, sprinkle the dough with cinnamon and the chocolate.
- Starting from the long side, use two hands to roll the dough into a long log. Cut the dough into 12 equal pieces and place them in the baking dish, touching side by side. If the don’t quite touch, squish them down using the palm of your hand. Brush the tops of the scrolls with the remaining butter
- Place the scrolls in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden. Serve hot.
- Get em’ while they’re hot! Hot chocolate scrolls are best enjoyed warm, while the chocolate is still all melty and yum.
- In unlikely event of leftovers, hot chocolate scrolls freeze really well and only need a minute in the microwave to defrost.
If you make my Hot Chocolate Scrolls remember to share them with me on Instagram. I love seeing and sharing your creations. Plus, one lucky reader each month will win their own You Totally Got This grocery bag. You can find me @youtotallygotthis – don’t forget to set your account to public and use the hashtag #youtotallygotthis so I can find you.
P.S – Now you’ve got your snacks sorted, get dinner sorted too. Grab your FREE quick and easy weeknight dinner plan right here.