Apple crumble…I get warm and fuzzy just thinking about it. YUM! It’s hands down my favourite winter dessert. Hold up didn’t you give up sugar? Sure did, but that’s why my version of this classic dessert is different. There’s no added refined sugar, and this healthy apple crumble tastes so good, you won’t even notice it’s missing. Don’t believe me? I make this for my birthday every year, and my family loves it (they would tell me if it tasted like cardboard…trust me!)
Sensitive to gluten? Switch the oats for quinoa flakes to make it gluten free. Need to make it dairy free? Easy! Just swap coconut oil for butter in the crumble.
Cooking time is just over an hour, but it’s super easy to make. Promise! Just throw the ingredients in a dish, whack it in the oven, and enjoy the amazing smell of apple crumble wafting from your kitchen. Since my birthday is coming up later this month, think of this as my yummy birthday gift to you. Let’s get this baking started (oh and the party too, love a good party!)
Oh and if you make my healthy apple crumble, I ‘d love to hear what you thought. Leave a comment so we can talk apple crumble and other stuff.
Healthy Apple Crumble
A healthy apple crumble that is so delicious, no one will notice the sugar is missing. It really is that good.
- 6 red apples - I like pink lady
- 2 tbs rice malt syryp
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- pinch salt
- 1 1/2 tbs plain flour - regular or gluten free depending on your dietary requirements
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup rolled oats or 1 cup of quinoa flakes for gluten free
- ½ cup almond meal
- 2 tbs rice malt syrup
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup of butter or coconut oil melted
- Cream, natural yoghurt or coconut yoghurt to serve
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Cut the apples in half (no need to peel them) then thinly slice the apples, laying the slices in a baking dish as you go (I used a round 23cm, 1.4 litre dish) . Add the lemon juice, rice malt syrup, cinnamon and nutmeg directly to the dish, and stir until the apples are coated. Whisk together the flour, water and salt, and pour over the apple mixture. Give everything another big stir.
- In a bowl mix the rolled oats, almond meal, rice malt syrup, cinnamon, and butter/coconut oil. Sprinkle the topping over the apples.
- Place in the oven and bake for 40 to 55 minutes, until golden and apples bubbling. If you are not quite sure if it’s cooked stick a knife through the top and make sure the apples are soft.
- Serve warm with cream, yoghurt or coconut yoghurt.
- If you’re feeling adventurous mix it up a little. Throw in some berries with the apple…trust me, it’s super yum!
- In the unlikely event of leftover crumble, freeze it! It freezes really well, I like to have it for brekkie every now and then.
- If you find that the top is browning too fast, pop some aluminium foil loosely over the top. Just remember to remove it 5 minutes before you take your crumble out of the oven.
If you make my Healthy Apple Crumble remember to share it with me on Instagram. I love seeing and sharing your creations. Plus, one lucky reader each month will win their own You Totally Got This grocery bag. You can find me @youtotallygotthis – don’t forget to set your account to public and use the hashtag #youtotallygotthis so I can find you.
P.S – Now you’ve got dessert sorted get your dinner sorted too. Grab your FREE quick and easy weeknight dinner plan right here.