Guys. Listen up! Whatever you think you know about crack, forget it. Crack is not whack! Nope, it’s the totally legal AND completely delicious chocolate caramel slice recipe that has taken the Internet by storm. And, cos severe case of sugar quitter FOMO, this is my healthier spin on the original crack recipe. It comes minus most of the sugar and happens to be vegan. But, rest assured, it’s no cardboard tasting healthy version. My healthy chocolate caramel slice (aka crack) is sweet, salty dessert perfection. Why crack? Simple. It’s totally A.D.D.I.C.T.I.V.E!
So, what makes crack so amazing? Crazy yum (obvs), but thanks to its secret ingredient, it is super easy to cook. The secret? Salada biscuits (or saltines, if you’re not from these parts). Sounds weird, but trust me. There were reports of Saladas selling out when the original crack recipe went viral. A whole nation couldn’t be wrong. Seriously, I am not lying when I say, crack is like no other quick and easy healthy dessert you have ever tasted. SO FREAKING GOOD!
You will thank me for making you a crack addict, I swear! Bake a hit and let me know what you think in the comments below.Print
As addictive as crack, but totally legal AND completely yum!
- 4 full size Salada (saltine) biscuits, a total of 16 squares
- ¼ cup rice malt syrup or real maple syrup
- 3 tbs of butter or coconut oil if you are vegan
- 2 tbs almond butter
- ½ tsp vanilla essence or vanilla powder
- Pinch salt
- 100g of 85% cacao or above dark chocolate (if you are vegan, double check that it is dairy free)
- ¼ cup peanut
- Preheat oven to 160C and line a brownie tin with aluminium foil and then baking paper.
- Arrange the Salada biscuits in the bottom of the tin so the entire surface is covered.
- In a small saucepan melt the coconut oil/butter, rice malt syrup and almond butter and whisk until it becomes a caramel colour and thickens (about 3-4 minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and salt. Pour the caramel over the Salada biscuits and bake in the oven for 5 minutes until the caramel starts to bubble again. Meanwhile, roughly cut the chocolate into small pieces and crush the peanuts by placing them in a knotted plastic bag and pounding them with something heavy like a meat tenderiser. Remembering to keep an eye on the oven.
- Remove the tin from the oven and scatter the chocolate pieces over the top of the caramel. Let it sit for 5 minutes and when the chocolate starts to melt, use a spoon or spatula to spread the chocolate over the top of the caramel then sprinkle with peanuts.
- Place the tin in the freezer for 30 minutes or until the chocolate has set. Break into 16 pieces and store in an airtight container in the fridge – if you don’t eat it all first!
If you try my Healthy Chocolate Caramel Slice (aka crack) remember to share it with me on Instagram. I love seeing and sharing your creations. Plus, one lucky reader each month will win their own You Totally Got This grocery bag. You can find me @youtotallygotthis -don’t forget to set your account to public and use the hashtag #youtotallygotthis so I can find you.
P.S – You can find the original Smitten Kitten crack recipe here.
P.S.S – Want more quick and easy recipes just like this? Grab your FREE quick and easy weeknight dinner plan right here.