Struggling to find healthy snacks that are safe to send to school? You will be king of the kids if you sneak one of these healthy and delicious nut-free muesli squares into your kiddies lunchbox. Starring quinoa, these healthy treats are jam packed with protein and fibre, and just happen to be nut-free and refined sugar free…I’m not even kidding! And if you’re a big kid. Say hello to your new favourite breakfast on the go. Yep the school run never tasted so good.Print
A healthy nut free school lunchbox treat that is so delicious, you will want to keep some for yourself.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup quinoa flakes
- 1 cup coconut flakes or shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup of seeds (I used pepitas (pumpkin seeds), sunflower seeds and linseeds)
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup rice malt syrup or honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 20 grams of 85% or above dark chocolate (optional & if you are allergic to nuts make sure it’s nut free)
- Preheat your oven to 180C/350F and line a slice tin with baking paper.
- Place the rolled oats, quinoa flakes, coconut flakes, seeds and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
- In a saucepan, melt the tahini, rice malt syrup and coconut oil over low to medium heat, stirring until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the tahini mixture over the dry ingredients in your mixing bowl and stir until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the slice tin, and then press down flat with your fingers.
- Put the tin in the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. The slice may still be soft when it comes out of the oven, but it will become firmer as it cools.
- Leave to cool in the pan then slice into squares. It easiest to slice just before it has completely cooled.
- If you want a chocolate topper, melt the dark chocolate in the microwave for 40-50 seconds stirring as you go, and drizzle over your muesli squares with a teaspoon.
- Where can I find quinoa flakes? Check out the health food aisle of your local supermarket.
- You can make these gluten free, by ditching the oats and adding another cup of quinoa flakes.
- Take it from me, these make a great breakfast. Eat them on the run, with milk like weetbix, or crumble a slice and serve it with yoghurt and berries…the options are endless!
If you make my Healthy Nut Free Muesli Squares remember to share them with me on Instagram. I love seeing and sharing your creations. Plus, one lucky reader each month will win their own You Totally Got This grocery bag. You can find me @youtotallygotthis – don’t forget to set your account to public and use the hashtag #youtotallygotthis so I can find you.
P.S Now you’ve got your snacks sorted, get dinner sorted too! Grab your FREE quick and easy weeknight dinner plan right here.