A crusty roll, stuffed with lightly spiced minced beef cooked to perfection in a rich tomato sauce, sprinkled with grated cheese and popped under the grill.
Yes, my friends. That’s a Sloppy Joe. Warm, comforting and oh so delicious!
And, while delicious is a perfectly good reason to cook Sloppy Joes for dinner, here are some other reasons you should put this recipe on your meal plan stat:
- 30-minute weeknight meal
- Literally anyone can make them.
- They will fill you up without breaking the bank – beef mince recipes are brilliant like that.
- They are made out of regular stuff, you probably already have in your kitchen.
- You can make the sauce ahead of time – total busy weeknight buster.
- The risk of anyone complaining about eating something topped with melted cheese is negligible.
- Things that you eat in your hands in front of the TV taste better* and require less washing up.
*May or may not be scientifically proven, but almost certain to be true.
Now truth be told, Sloppy Joes don’t have a reputation for being all that healthy. But, these guys aren’t your regular Sloppy Joe. This is the basic equation: 5 hits of veg + kidney beans for extra goodness + no sugary ketchup or added sugar + all food groups covered = pretty darn good for you.
And if being *that* healthy doesn’t sound appealing, you can always pimp your Sloppy Joe’s with extra toppings. I can personally vouch for crumbled corn chips and sour cream. It’s somewhere you want to go. Trust me.
If you’ve lived your entire life thinking being sloppy is a bad thing, get ready to have your mind (and tastebuds) blown. Quick. Easy. Healthy. Yum. Sloppy Joe’s are the BEST.
Did you add any extra toppings? Tell me everything.Print
Think, a crusty roll, stuffed with lightly spiced minced beef cooked to perfection in a rich tomato sauce, sprinkled with grated cheese and popped under the grill. This healthy version of the classic American Sloppy Joe, is a guaranteed weeknight winner.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 250g beef mince
- 1 brown onion
- 1 green capsicum
- 2 portbello mushrooms
- 1 small zuchinni
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup kidney beans
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 long crusty rolls
- ¼ cup tasty cheese
- Handful of rocket (optional)
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Finely dice the onion, capsicum and mushrooms and grate the zuchinni. Set aside.
- Heat the olive in a large frying pan over medium to high heat. Add the onion and capsicum and cook for 5 minutes, until soft.
- Next add the mince and cook until it has browned breaking up with a wooden spoon as you go. Drain any excess fat from the frying pan
- Place the frying pan back on heat and stir through the mushrooms, zucchini, kidney beans crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, and bring to boil. Reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes, or until any remaining liquid from the tomatoes has reduced.
- Put your oven grill on high. Slice the rolls down the middle (make sure you don’t cut all the way through) and place them cut side up on the baking tray. Spoon half the Sloppy Joe mixture into each roll and then sprinkle with grated cheese. Transfer the baking tray to the oven and grill for 2-5 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Transfer to a plate and serve with a handful of rocket, if using.
- This Sloppy Joe recipe is fully flexible. Switch up any of the veggies for your favourites (think celery, carrot, or baby spinach) or ditch the veggies and serve your Sloppy Joes with a fresh and crunchy side salad. Either way, so YUM!
- Just so you know. The serving is on the big side. If you can’t fit all Sloppy Joe mixture into your rolls there’s plenty of options – serve the rest on the side, feed the kids, put it in a container for lunch, or freeze it for later.
- Sloppy Joes make great party/feed a group food. Just double or triple the recipe and pop it on the table with some rolls and extra toppings, like cheese, pickles, crispy bacon bits, corn chips, sour cream or coleslaw. Mmmm….I’m getting hungry just thinking about it.
P.S – Want a whole weeks worth of dinners just like this awesome Healthy Sloppy Joes Recipe? Grab your FREE quick and easy weeknight dinner plan right here.