Have you heard that starting the day with a glass of warm water and lemon is good for you? Seems like this is one health trend that has lots of people excited. But why is it so good for you? Let’s find out if kick-starting your day with lemon water lives up to the hype.
What are the benefits of kick-starting your day with lemon water
Where do I start! The interwebs are buzzing about the amazing health benefits of kick-starting your day with lemon water. Some of those benefits include:
- Supporting your immune system: Lemons are rich in vitamin C, which can boost the immune system and help us fight nasties like colds and flus.
- Restoring your pH: Lemons have an alkalising effect on the body which can help to balance your body’s pH levels by reducing acidity which can cause pain and inflammation.
- Aiding your digestion: Lemons stimulate digestive enzymes that help us absorb the nutrients from food, and encourage the production of bile which eliminates toxins and breaks down fat.
- Clearer skin: Lemons are rich in vitamin C and antioxidants, which can help fight free radical damage caused by exposure to the sun.
- Supporting weight loss: Lemons are high in a soluble fibre called pectin, which will keep you feeling fuller for longer and help fight food cravings.
How does it work?
Easy, just pour some boiling water into a mug and squeeze in the juice of half a lemon. Leave it to cool while you are in the shower and sip on it while you are getting ready for the day – simple as that!
How does it make you feel?
I found that kick-starting my day with lemon water was refreshing and rehydrating. I didn’t have any trouble fitting it into my routine because it was so quick and easy. And best of all, it tasted great – sour but not too sour…well for my tastebuds anyway!
What should you watch out for you?
Want to kick-start your day with lemon water? Here are some special tips just for you:
- Watch out for weekends, I tend to forget my lemon water on days when my routine changes.
- Don’t be tempted to have last gulp of lemon water after you have brushed your teeth – don’t say I didn’t warn you – yuk!
- Look out for big lemons, unless of course you like a slightly more sour experience.
Have you tried drinking lemon water in the morning? What did you think? Tell me all about it in comments below.