If you’re looking for a healthy and delicious afternoon snack, you are in for a treat. Yes, you can make crunchy sweet potato chips in the microwave and it’s so easy it’s dangerous. Warning, your obsession with microwave sweet potato chips starts here. P.S…sorry not sorry!Print
Microwave Sweet Potato Chips
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
This is not a drill. I repeat this is not a drill. Crunchy and totally addictive sweet potato chips you can make in the microwave in just 5 minutes. Your life may never be the same again.
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- Cut the sweet potato into paper thin slices, using a mandolin, or very sharp knife. It’s very important that the slices are super thin so the chips crisp up in the microwave.
- Put the sweet potato in a bowl, add the olive oil and salt, and stir until all the slices are coated. If your sweet potato is on the bigger side you may need to add a little more olive oil.
- Line your microwave turntable plate with baking or parchment paper and arrange the sweet potato slices in a single layer on top, so none of the slices are overlapping.
- Cook in the microwave until the chips are just starting to brown and the edges curled. It takes the chips between 4 1/2 to 5 minutes to cook in my microwave, but since everyone’s microwave is different, start checking on the chips every 30 seconds from about 3 minutes. If some of the smaller slices are cooking more quickly, you can remove them and continue cooking the rest. If the slices around the edge seem to be cooking more quickly switch them with the ones in the middle so they cook more evenly.
- Once done, remove the chips from the microwave on to a plate to cool. When you first remove them, some of the chips may still be a little soft in the middle, but they should firm up after a couple of minutes.
- Repeat the process with the remaining sweet potato slices.
- If you’re short on time, microwave sweet potato chips make a great side. I especially love them with my Aussie Burgers.
- The good news? If you are not into sweet potato, the same method works for regular potatoes – yay!
- Pimp your sweet potato chips with seasoning like rosemary, garlic or chilli powder. My fav is smoky paprika…YUM!
- The chips lose their crispness after a while so are best eaten straight away. Somehow, I’m guessing that won’t be a problem.
If you make my Sweet Potato Chips remember to share them with me on Instagram. I love seeing and sharing your creations. Plus, one lucky reader each month will win their own You Totally Got This grocery bag. You can find me @youtotallygotthis – don’t forget to set your account to public and use the hashtag #youtotallygotthis so I can find you.
P.S – Now you’ve got your snacks sorted, get dinner sorted too. Grab your FREE quick and easy weeknight dinner plan right here.