The 70’s were the *actual* best. I mean I was born (oops…did I say that out loud) and prawn cocktails were on the menu at every dinner party in Australia.
Now I want to talk prawn cocktails for a second. Prawn cocktails are officially awesome. Something that involves eating big fat juicy prawns dripping in a creamy, tangy, tastes so good sauce, on a bed of crunchy fresh salad. Should not. I repeat should not, be forgotten (unlike ultra wide bell bottoms and vinyl jump suits, which were definitely a mistake.)
So yes. Yes my friends. Forget sexy. I’m bringing prawn cocktails back. In a roll. To make a legit healthy, tasty and super filling, no need to reach for the cookie jar afterward, kind of weeknight dinner. Yes. It’s the prawn cocktail dinner in a roll. And God bless the 70’s. Because they are a total lifesaver on busy weeknights. Sooo quick and easy!
If you make my prawn cocktail dinner in a roll, I’d love to hear what you think. Do you guys have a favourite retro food?
Prawn Cocktail Dinner Roll
Yield 2 rolls
It's official. The prawn cocktail is back. Think big fat juicy prawns dripping in a tangy cocktail sauce, on a bed of crunchy fresh salad. But my prawn cocktail isn't just any prawn cocktail. It's served on a thick and crusty bread roll, making it satisfying enough for dinner. And with a 20 minute cook time, it's the perfect recipe for busy weeknights.
- 2 long crusty rolls regular or gluten free
- 6 large king prawns
- ¼ iceberg lettuce
- 1 Lebanese cucumber
- ½ avocado
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 large lemon
- Pinch smoky paprika (optional)
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbs tomato sauce (ketchup)
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 large lemon
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper or a dash of tabasco
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Combine the mayonnaise, tomato sauce, soy sauce, cayenne pepper/tabasco sauce and 2 tbs of freshly squeezed lemon juice in a bowl. Transfer to the fridge and chill until serving.
- Shred the lettuce with a knife, then dice the cucumber, avocado and tomato. Transfer the salad ingredients to a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Next, peel the prawns, leaving the tails on, squeeze some lemon over the top and set aside.
- Slice the rolls down the middle and spread each side with thin layer of cocktail sauce. Divide the salad ingredients between each roll. Arrange 3 prawns on top and finish with a dollop of cocktail sauce. Sprinkle with smoky paprika, if using.
- Traditional prawn cocktail sauce is made with Worcestershire sauce. I've swapped it for soy sauce in this recipe to keep the sugar count down. But, if you would prefer to use Worscetershire...go for it!
- Tomato sauce and ketchup can be high in sugar. I like to use Fountain No Added Sugar Tomato Sauce, which is also gluten free – yay!
- Waste not want not. Serve any leftover salad with your roll as a side.
If you make my Prawn Cocktail Dinner Rolls remember to share them with me on Instagram. I love seeing and sharing your creations. Plus, one lucky reader each month will win their own You Totally Got This grocery bag. You can find me @youtotallygotthis – don’t forget to set your account to public and use the hashtag #youtotallygotthis so I can find you.
P.S – Want a whole weeks worth of dinners just like these awesome Prawn Cocktail Dinner Rolls? Grab your FREE quick and easy weeknight dinner plan right here.