The latest food trend, all the cool kids are going nuts for…poke! It sounds weird, but trust me, it tastes absolutely amazing. And now you can make it at home with my super easy poke bowl recipe.
Poke is a traditional Hawaiian dish pronounced poh-keh. It’s like sushi. Only so much better! Poke is served in a bowl so there’s no faffing around with nori sheets (ain’t nobody got time for that!). Bursting with bright, fresh veggies, poke bowls are super healthy and totally Insta-worthy. Plus my recipe is gluten free, dairy free, and sugar free (yep, ordinary sushi rice has sugar in it… crazy right?). Poke bowls may be healthy and delicious, but they also happen to be the perfect weeknight meal. In fact, you can throw this baby together in 15 minutes. It really is that easy. And if raw fish eeks you out, don’t let that stop you. Make your poke bowl with smoked salmon, canned tuna or even tofu – problem solved!
Wanna taste what all the fuss’s about? Seriously, you should! Give my easy poke bowl recipe a go. I’d love to know what you think in the comments below.Print
Quick & Easy Poke Bowl
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 serves 1x
All the cool kids are going crazy for Poke Bowls. And now you can find out what all the fuss is about, with this quick, easy, make at home Poke Bowl recipe.
- 2 tbs soy sauce or tamari for gluten free
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp Chinese rice wine or apple cider vinegar for gluten free
- ½ lime
- pinch chilli flakes
- 300g salmon fillet (sushi grade)
- 1 packet of microwave rice
- 1 carrot
- 1 Lebanese cucumber
- 10 snow peas
- 2 spring onions
- ½ avocado
- ¼ purple cabbage
- 2 tsp of sesame seeds
- Cook a packet of microwave rice according to packet directions. Divide the rice between 2 bowls and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl combine the soy sauce/tamari, sesame oil, rice wine/apple cider vinegar, lime and chilli flakes then set aside.
- Remove the skin from the salmon fillet and chop it into small cubes. Transfer the chopped salmon to the bowl containing the marinade, give it a stir and leave the salmon to soak while you are cutting your vegetables.
- Chop the carrot and snow peas into thin sticks, slice the avocado and spring onions, grate the cabbage and use a vegetable peeler to cut the cucumber into ribbons.
- Arrange the veggies and salmon on top of the rice, and pour over any extra marinade. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Wondering where to buy sushi grade salmon? Just ask your local fishmonger, they will know exactly what you are talking about…promise!
- Get creative and pile on your favourite fillings. Think radishes, edamame, nori, kimchi, pineapple or mango – YUM!
If you make my Quick and Easy Poke Bowl Recipe remember to share it with me on Instagram. I love seeing and sharing your creations. Plus, one lucky reader each month will win their own You Totally Got This grocery bag. You can find me @youtotallygotthis – don’t forget to set your account to public and use the hashtag #youtotallygotthis so I can find you.
P.S – Want a whole weeks worth of dinners just like this? Grab your FREE quick and easy weeknight dinner plan right here.
Hi no offence, dont put chopstick like in your photo poking into the rice, in oriental means its for the dead. Put straight across the bowl.
Not at all. I really appreciate you letting me know.
Many thanks Rani