Soup in a snap. This 20 minute lentil soup is warm, hearty and so easy to cook. A winter favourite, guaranteed.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ½ brown onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 carrot
- 1 stick celery
- 1 cup of kale or baby spinach
- 1 can brown lentils
- 2 cups vegetable stock.
- Bread or bread rolls (regular or gluten free) to serve
- Heat oil in a medium sized saucepan over a medium heat. Meanwhile roughly dice the onion, celery and carrot, and crush a garlic clove.
- Transfer the onion, garlic, celery and carrot into the saucepan and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the stock, and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. If using kale, remove the stems from the leaves and chop into bite sized pieces while the soup is cooking.
- Drain and rinse the lentils and add them to the saucepan, stir and cook for 3 minutes until the soup thickens. Stir in the kale or spinach until wilted. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with a slice of bread or a roll.
Make a double batch and freeze the leftovers for a quick and healthy weekday lunch.