Quick. Easy. Delicious. That’s special fried rice.
- 1 250g packet steamed microwave rice
- 4 tsp sesame oil
- 2 eggs
- 100g ham
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 carrot
- ½ cup tinned corn
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 200g tinned baby prawns (shrimp)
- 2 tbs soy sauce or tamari, depending on your dietary requirements.
- 2 handfuls of prawn crackers
- Cook the rice according to packet directions. Meanwhile, cut the carrot into small pieces and mince the garlic. Set aside.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat with 1 tsp of sesame oil. Whisk the eggs in a small bowl and then tip the eggs into the hot frying pan. When the eggs begin to set, use a spatula to break them up. Remove the egg from the frying pan into a small bowl.
- Add another teaspoon of sesame oil to the frying pan (there’s no need to wipe it out) then cook the carrot and garlic for 5 minutes or until the carrot is just soft.
- Next, add the rice, peas, corn, prawns and egg to the frying pan and stir until all the ingredients are combined and warmed through. Mix through the soy sauce/tamari and remaining sesame oil.
- Remove from heat, divide between 2 bowls and serve with a handful of prawn crackers.
- Cooking for a family? Just double the ingredients, except maybe the prawns. Unless you really like prawns. Then go for it.
- Speaking of prawns. If you don’t like them, throw in some supermarket roast chicken instead.
- If you suffer food intolerances or allergies, please make sure all the ingredients are safe for you to eat.